Gee whizz. This recipe has only three steps. Whizz, chill and scatter.
It’s funny what emerges when you combine hazelnuts, avocado, berries and cacao. Enter a spankingly delicious pud that’ll rock the socks off any pudding seen sitting around in coffee shops and cake stalls, whispering in honeyed tones inviting you in, but then leaving you and your gurgling stomach with discomforting memories and promises of never again.
The quiet, shy hazelnut, often outshone by the more headstrong and petulant almond, sits quietly on the sidelines awaiting an opportune time to make her presence known and in this melt-in-your-mouth dessert her sass twinkles and gleams. You really have to take your hat off to the hazelnut, grown in a tough and protective outer shell, it’s only when taking the time to scratch beneath the surface, that you are able to reap the many nutritional benefits that this self-effacing nut provides.
Dig a little deeper and you’ll discover a vitamin and mineral live-wire, containing…
- The highest fibre content of all nuts. Fibre aids in digestive cleansing, lowering cholesterol re-absorption and keeping you fuller, longer.
- A high concentration of oleic acid, a fat that activates the part of your brain that makes you feel satiated.
- The riches of vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects membranes from free-radical damage.
- B vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin and thiamin. Thiamin works to regulate your nervous system and encourage healthy muscle and cardiovascular health.
- Exceptional amounts of folate, an important vitamin that assists in the proper development of the brain and spinal cord of an unborn infant. 100g of hazelnuts contains approximately 28% of your recommended daily intake.
- The three amigos, selenium, zinc and manganese. As well as magnesium, potassium and calcium that help to regulate blood circulation and lower cholesterol levels.
- Vitamin A, a natural antioxidant with cancer-preventing properties.
- Another significant family member in this pudding is avocado. Avocadoes are an abundant source of several essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, B, C, E and K, as well as calcium, copper, iron, magnesium and potassium. Avocado boosts and enables a rich creamy texture and this coupled with chocolate and berries, brings to your palate a delightful concoction crammed with health promoting ingredients.
- 2 avocados pitted and chopped
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 55 gms hazelnut butter
- ¼ cup hazelnuts
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 6 drops liquid stevia or 2 TBS xylitol or sweetener of choice
- ½ cup coconut water or milk for a creamier consistency
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and whizz until smooth
- Chill in fridge for 20 minutes before serving and scatter with coconut and fresh berries